sasser virus (was Re: [unisog] student fees for cleaning.)

Peter Van Epp vanepp at sfu.ca
Fri May 7 21:41:49 GMT 2004

> Peter,
>
>  Do you have any stats on the number of computers on your campus that
> were/are unpatched and vulnerable to LSASS exploits?
>
> Jason

	No. We don't scan the network looking for vunarable machines without
the owner's permission. Our experience with Nessus scans says that it sometimes
causes the machine to reboot. Therefore we will take the hit of an infected
machine getting out for a while before being detected and whacked. The down
side is we don't know how many machines out there are still vunarable. So far
that policy has worked fine. If it stops working fine I expect we will revisit
it :-).