sasser virus (was Re: [unisog] student fees for cleaning.)

Butler, Kevin D butlerkevind at uams.edu
Fri May 7 22:13:10 GMT 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: unisog-bounces at lists.sans.org
[mailto:unisog-bounces at lists.sans.org] On Behalf Of Peter Van Epp
Sent: Friday, May 07, 2004 4:42 PM
To: UNIversity Security Operations Group
Subject: Re: sasser virus (was Re: [unisog] student fees for cleaning.)

> Peter,

>  Do you have any stats on the number of computers on your campus that

> were/are unpatched and vulnerable to LSASS exploits?

> Jason

I have been doing scans here at the University of Arkansas for Medical
Sciences. At this posting, we are at 81 possible vulnerable computers on
our network, which is down considerably from 300+ two days ago. As far
as scanning policy, we prefer to scan regardless of who owns the box.
Since we own the network, the safety of the network supersedes one or
two broke pc's should they not like being scanned.

Kevin D. Butler, MCP

Network Security Engineer

University Of Arkansas for Medical Sciences

4301 West Markham, Slot 637

Little Rock, Arkansas 72205

+1 (501) 526-6391 - Wk

+1 (501) 405-8240 - Pgr

5014058240 at pageme.teletouch.com - Text Pgr

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...moments lost in
time...like tears in rain."

Blade Runner 20th Anniversary...June 25th, 2002

"The three most dangerous things in IT:  a programmer with a soldering
iron, a manager who codes, and a user who gets ideas!"

"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who
cannot read them." -Mark Twain (1835-1910)