sasser virus (was Re: [unisog] student fees for cleaning.)

Matt Crawford crawdad at fnal.gov
Fri May 7 22:20:31 GMT 2004

On May 7, 2004, at 16:36, Peter Moody wrote:
> do you guys not have folks bringing machines home and then back to
> campus?
>
> we've got all those ports blocked at our entrance as well and we've
> still seen lots of infections.

We block those ports.  We had two people carry in sasser-infected
laptops (from foreign countries, no less) last Sunday & Tuesday.  They
didn't infect any others.  Then we had one employee get his home laptop
infected, he realized it right away but when he carried it this morning
for fixing he forget he had a wireless card in it.  Again, no secondary
victims.

Our patching infrastructure is in better far shape this time than it
ever was before.