[unisog] student fees for cleaning.

Colin Curtin alpine at umail.ucsb.edu
Sat May 8 01:14:58 GMT 2004

Peter,

Monetary incentive for keeping a student's machine free from viruses
only works if they do not have the money for such a fee, or they do not
possess the friends to fix it for free.

For example, a well-to-do student would be more than happy to pay $20-30
to get back on the Internet after a virus infection. Another student,
who may have thought the fee was a bit much, would probably have at
least one nice Computer Science major on their hall who would be happy
to fix it for free. In both of these cases, the only thing really lost
is Internet time.

I propose a different but possibly drastic twist. This, of course,
assumes that the student was infected by a virus for which there is a
patch or known solution (i.e., the student was negligent).

The first time a student is taken off the network for an infection, they
are charged $15. They are given some sort of notification of the reason
why they were taken off, and are given a few options, namely: they can
have a consultant come out from resnet and fix it for them; they can fix
it themselves (or have someone else fix it), then prove the computer is
free from infection; or they can stay off the network.

After that time, the student is on a temporary network 'probation'. If
they are infected again within some x time, they are charged an
additional $15 and are taken off the network until they attend an
"Internet and Computer Responsibility" seminar provided by Resnet. If
one student gets infected a total of 3-4 times during the year, they
must be considered a liability to the network and taken off permanently.

Students can then try to prove they were not negligent in their
downloading to get the charge revoked and their connection restored.
However, this is rarely the case as students are apt to download unsafe
programs regularly.

Well, I thought it was interesting. ;-)

Colin Curtin
alpine at umail.ucsb.edu