[unisog] student fees for cleaning.

Russell Fulton r.fulton at auckland.ac.nz
Sat May 8 03:05:46 GMT 2004

On Sat, 2004-05-08 at 13:14, Colin Curtin wrote:
> Peter,
>
> Monetary incentive for keeping a student's machine free from viruses
> only works if they do not have the money for such a fee, or they do not
> possess the friends to fix it for free.
>
> For example, a well-to-do student would be more than happy to pay $20-30
> to get back on the Internet after a virus infection. Another student,
> who may have thought the fee was a bit much, would probably have at
> least one nice Computer Science major on their hall who would be happy
> to fix it for free. In both of these cases, the only thing really lost
> is Internet time.

This reminds me of problems our Library had a while back, there were a
few students upon whom library fines had no effect.  They would sit on
all the sources for some project and then front up and pay several
hundred dollars in fines. (This was in small postgraduate classes where
half a dozen students were supposed to be sharing one copy of each
resource -- sharing being the operative word).

The library responded with a scheme rather like Colin described -- if
you were clearly abusing the system then all library privileges would be
withdrawn.

Russell