sasser virus (was Re: [unisog] student fees for cleaning.)

Harry Hoffman hhoffman at ip-solutions.net
Sun May 9 14:20:05 GMT 2004

Here at Drexel University we are using Integrity Agent from Zonelabs and
currently have it installed on ~ 1500 systems used by our staffmembers.

We are currently talking about creating policies for student machines which
would allow them free reign while off of our network but once connected to the
uni. network would enforce our enterprise policy.

I would very much agree with Russell and John in saying that host based security
is extremely important.

Integrity is an interesting concept for a piece of software and even though
Zonelabs has a long way to go before they are ready for the "big time" they seem
to be the only ones who are pretty far down that road right now.

I would however, rather see us push Linux as a viable student Operating System
and provide support services in the arena of automagic reinstalls complete with
hardening via pxe, kickstart, cfengine, etc.

My $0.02 cents,
Harry