[unisog] Re: Nessus Scanning

Frank Sweetser fs at WPI.EDU
Mon May 10 20:47:13 GMT 2004

On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 08:28:25AM +1200, Russell Fulton wrote:
> I'd also be very interested in such a list, particularly if someone was
> regularly maintaining it.
>
> Also has anyone written a script to extract out the vital information
> from all the fluff that nessus provides.  My guess is that by far the
> easiest way would be to get nessus to write an xml report and use the
> perl nessus modules to parse it.

I've actually got a setup doing this right now.  It generates a nessus config
based on a skeleton, runs it against our list of registered hosts, parses the
nbe files, and stuffs them into a sql database.  Sho has started work on a
simple web front end (looks remarkably like placid ;), and I have it emailing
text summaries out to owner/admins based on IP ranges.  I can clean up and
post a copy if anyone is interested.

Frank Sweetser fs at wpi.edu
WPI Network Engineer