[unisog] DHCP lease times, reserved IP addresses, etc

Ken Connelly Ken.Connelly at uni.edu
Wed May 12 10:59:07 GMT 2004

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:

>On Tue, 11 May 2004 11:40:24 CDT, Jason Richardson <A00JER1 at wpo.cso.niu.edu>  said:
>

>>machines.  We are considering moving to a three month or longer lease
>>time to make it easier to pinpoint IP usage to specific users/machines.
>>

>3 *month*?? Why not just assign them static IPs and be done with it?

we assign static IPs everywhere on campus except for the registration
vlan in our ResNet and a couple of hipaa pockets behind their respective
firewalls.  we're not as big as some of you, but do have ~15,000 network
nodes, mostly all static assignments handed out by the dhcp server.

--
- Ken
Ken Connelly Systems and Operations Manager, ITS Network Services
email: Ken.Connelly at uni.edu
phone: (319) 273-5850   fax: (319) 273-7373

It's much more important to know what you don't know than what you do know!