[unisog] NAT'ing Quarantine Networks to Windows Update

Cooper F. Nelson cnelson at ucsd.edu
Thu May 27 18:10:56 GMT 2004

Ah, sweet serendipity, I've just been working on the very same thing.
The biggest problem I've had is figuring out the BIND magic needed to
override the relevant host names.

In the meantime I've faked this by adding entries for
windowsupdate.microsoft.com and v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com to the
hosts file for my test XP box.  Both hosts resolve to a virtual IP on
the NAT firewall.

I'm using the "Shorewall" firewall on a Linux box to handle all the
proxying and NAT'ing.  For both sites I redirect all http requests to a
Squid proxy cache on the same server.  The actual updates, however are
transferred via https from the v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com host.
For that traffic I setup a DNAT rule on the firewall to forward all
sessions directly to that host.  This way even a machine that has had
all egress traffic filtered can still get updates.  I've tested this on
Win2K and XP and it works fine, even when all other traffic is blocked.

Some notes:

The windowsupdate and v4.windowsupdate hosts are load balanced and will
resolve to different IP's at times.  And of course, these IP's probably
will change at somepoint, as may the hostnames themselves when SP2 is
released (SP2 uses v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com at the present).  Keep
that in mind.

I would be happy to post my Shorewall rules if there is interest.

Cheers,
-Cooper