[unisog] AOL rejects forwarding?

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Tue Nov 2 17:52:28 GMT 2004

We noticed that AOL was starting to refuse mail from our incoming
mail system.  These are the hosts that handle incoming mail to
columbia.edu.  They send mail when the columbia.edu address forwards
delivery to another address.  So the mail in question is mail from
outside that we are forwarding to AOL addresses.  This mail is
filtered for spam and executables first-- not all is re-sent.

The result of an inquiry to AOL is the message below.  This appears
to mean that our users can no longer forward mail from outside to AOL.
We will need to publicize this and to find a way to alert users on
an ongoing basis.

Of course I will call the phone number given to see whether they
actually read my request.

In the meantime, I would like to know whether any other edu's are
in this situation.  You might have to have separate inbound and
outbound hosts for the spam ratio to be high enough.  Alumni
forwarding systems are likely to have similar ratios.

Joseph Brennan
postmaster at columbia.edu