[unisog] AOL rejects forwarding?

Bob Johnson bob88 at eng.ufl.edu
Tue Nov 2 22:16:05 GMT 2004

This is standard practice for AOL.  If their users complain of spam,
they block the system they got the spam from, regardless of whether it
originated with you or you forwarded it for a legitimate user.  Part of
the problem is that their users hit the spam button for anything they
don't want to see, whether it is legitimate or not.  If a department
sends a monthly newsletter to its students, and some of them forward
their mail to AOL, then they are likely to hit the spam button if they
aren't interested in reading it.

Try the feedback loop and see what it tells you, but if you need to talk
to a real human you will need to be persistent and polite.  It took our
mail system manager several days of waiting on hold to talk to the right
person to get it straightened out when it happened here.

I would expect it to help a bit if you can tell them you have 4,000 (or
whatever) users forwarding mail to AOL, and you are going to have to
start prohibiting that in order to protect your servers from being
blacklisted.  In other words, AOL stands to lose a significant portion
of 4,000 customers because the service isn't useful to them any more.

- Bob