[unisog] AOL rejects forwarding?

Daniel Feenberg feenberg at nber.org
Wed Nov 3 11:53:26 GMT 2004

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, Deanne Palmer wrote:

> We running  into a similar problem with forwarding to yahoo.com, as well.
> Still  considering what to do about it.

I would imagine that if you subscribe to AOL's feedback service and stop
forwarding for any user who complains that forwarded mail is spam, you can
stay under AOL's complaint limits. Most users never complain, so
dropping only a few .forwards should improve your score substantially.

I suppose this could even be automated. I hope that instead of letting
mail accumulate in the users mailbox you would reject it during
transmission, so that there was no "lost mail". Providing a long and
detailed explanation of why forwarding was suspended might also help.

We have only 2 users forwarding to AOL, and no complaints along these
lines, however both allow their AOL mailbox to fill up, generating
bogus "mailbox full" DSN messages to forged addresses. Sendmail doesn't
seem well adapted to handle these situations.