[unisog] AOL rejects forwarding?

Tomo tomo at london.edu
Wed Nov 3 16:55:13 GMT 2004

We've had similar issues being reported in the UK Higher Education
community. It would appear that AOL's adoption of the SPF standard is
starting to bite, and it does have the consequence of creating problems
for forwarded e-mail, as the From: address domain does not match the
domain of the forwarding e-mail server.

http://spf.pobox.com/

As far as I know there is no solution, except to advise AOL customers
that they cannot use their AOL mailbox to receive forwarded e-mail.
Perhaps it would be best to direct their customers to read

http://postmaster.aol.com/      and in particular
http://postmaster.aol.com/spf/

As far as I know AOL is the only big adopter of SPF - but it does have
implications for alumni forwarding if it does become more widely adopted.

Tomo - Infrastructure Team
London Business School.

--

Tomo.

Network & Telecoms Project Engineer,   Information Systems Division
London Business School, Sussex Place, Regents Park, London. NW1 4SA
t: +44 (0)20 7000 7777 direct  -------  +44 (0)20 7262 5050 general
f: +44 (0)20 7000 7771 direct  -------  +44 (0)20 7724 7875 general
e: mailto:tomo at london.edu      w: http://www.london.edu/technology/