[unisog] AOL rejects forwarding?

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Thu Nov 4 14:39:48 GMT 2004

>> Try the feedback loop and see what it tells you, but if you need to talk
>> to a real human you will need to be persistent and polite.  It took our
>> mail system manager several days of waiting on hold to talk to the right
>> person to get it straightened out when it happened here.

It took only 25 minutes.

I am told they want to see less than 5% spam, which is going to
hard to impossible on forwarded mail from the world without a
significant amount of false positives.  The feedback loop data
shows the usual hard-to-catch stuff like Nigerian spam, some of
which got Spamassassin scores as low as 3.

I am told it is fine with them if we announce that users cannot
forward to aol.  When I heard this I asked if I had heard right
and the phone man said yes.

A possible "solution" would be to send the forwarded mail from
the same hosts that handle mail from our users.  That would get
the ratio way down.  This however could be risky.

Joseph Brennan
Academic Technologies Group, Academic Information Systems (AcIS)
Columbia University in the City of New York