[unisog] Recommendation for list management sw

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu Nov 4 18:46:33 GMT 2004

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 17:35:41 CST, Matt Crawford said:

> You think so, do you?  Then tell me this: if a person sends legit
> identical email to N lists at once, and is therefore blacklisted by
> listserv as a spam source, how do you unblock them?

Well, for starters, all that means is that for 48 hours, their postings
go to the list owners for verification, which isn't quite as bad as
you make it out to be.

> The email guys here insist that L-Soft insists it can't be done.

Well, the general case isn't easily done, because there isn't an inter-server
"un-blacklist" command to match the "blacklist" (for obvious reasons).

Locally, there are SPAM entries in the permvars.file database....

> They further insist that the criteria for blacklisting are, in general,
> secret and will not be revealed.

That's a tough issue - although I certainly don't in general agree with
security-through-obscurity, it certainly wouldn't make much sense to
have it say "You're blacklisted because you posted more than 11 identical
messages" or similar, that lets the chickenboner spammer figure out immediately
how to fly under-the-wire...