[unisog] Re: How do you handle spyware/adware?

J. Oquendo sil at infiltrated.net
Sat Nov 6 06:10:51 GMT 2004

"Hart, Lee Anne" <LeeAnne.Hart at montgomerycollege.edu>
To: <unisog at sans.org>; <SECURITY at LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>

>I am interested in learning how other schools are handling preventing,
> detecting, and removing spyware/adware from workstations.  From doing
> some preliminary research, I've found software (Spybot, Spysweeper,
> Adaware, etc.) that can be installed on the workstations, but I'm not
> sure how effective they will be since they require updates to
> detect/remove new programs.  We have been testing McAfee VSE 8.0i, but
> its too early to tell how effective it will be.  Has anyone else been
> testing McAfee VSE 8.0i?  What are your feelings about the product?
> What are some other method or ways to help eliminate spyware/adware?
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Lee Anne

We've been doing pretty well using the Spybot, Ad-Aware combination along
with "HiJack This" to deal with peskier files (DLL's from hell). Spybot's
Tea Timer is a handy tool, I used it extensively dealing with the annoying
SDBOT variants since it allows an admin to halt anything from installing
itself into the registry. "Spyware Blaster" is another handy tool to use.
I haven't used it on campus yet since I manage with the others.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
J. Oquendo
GPG Key ID 0x51F9D78D
Fingerprint 2A48 BA18 1851 4C99

CA22 0619 DB63 F2F7 51F9 D78D
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x51F9D78D

sil @ politrix . org    http://www.politrix.org
sil @ infiltrated . net http://www.infiltrated.net

"How can we account for our present situation unless we
believe that men high in this government are concerting
to deliver us to disaster?" Joseph McCarthy "America's
Retreat from Victory"