[unisog] How do you handle spyware/adware?

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Nov 8 18:35:38 GMT 2004

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 16:45:56 EST, "Hart, Lee Anne" said:

> testing McAfee VSE 8.0i?  What are your feelings about the product?
> What are some other method or ways to help eliminate spyware/adware?

Is there any other field of commerce where the sale of add-on products
that fix *flaws* in the original product (as opposed to add-ons that
add functionality) is a multi-billion dollar business?

Although there's a large market automotive add-ons (wheel hubs, spoilers,
odd lighting, etc), I don't remember anybody marketing  an add-on to keep
a Pinto's gas tank from exploding....

The above strongly suggests that perhaps the use of the base product is a
poor choice, and you should switch to alternatives...

I don't think there's *any* way to bolt on add-ons onto the Windows/IE
framework to prevent spyware/adware - to really address the problem will
require heaving one or both over the side and using an alternative product.