[unisog] Information on Commercial Anti Spam Software

Daniel Bidwell bidwell at andrews.edu
Tue Nov 16 03:09:47 GMT 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-16 at 06:37, Tim Lane wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am wanting to get an indication of what commercial anti spam software is
> being used in other institutions.  We are looking for an "off the shelf "
> package and wanting to minimise inhouse development as much as possible .
>
> Could anyone using commercial anti spam software please provide information
> on what they are using and any thoughts they have on the product they are
> using.
>
> Please, no sellers of products - only institutions using products.

We have been using Mailscanner (open source) from www.mailscanner.info
and have just done a feature evaluation of:

Message Labs, www.messagelabs.com, a hosted solution.

Barracuda, www.barracudanetworks.com, a blackbox solution.

Canit-Pro, www.roaringpenguin.com, a solution that we host on our
servers.

They all appear to be using the same set of open source tools for the
most part.  Canit-Pro allows us to scale with multiple servers as needed
and their price model was very favorable compared to the others.