[unisog] Information on Commercial Anti Spam Software

Chris Russel russel at yorku.ca
Tue Nov 16 14:42:55 GMT 2004

We are using a combination of bogofilter and DCC for anti-spam, and clamav
for anti-virus filtering (all via mimedefang) - for all staff and
students. Total is around 60,000 email accounts and half million messages
per day.  We had been using spamassassin but for whatever reason it did
not do a good job for us. The reaction here has been overwhelmingly
postive. Our best estimate is that it is blocking 85-90% of spam with very
very low rate of false positives.

There is a good paper on centralized Bayesian spam filtering being
presented ... tomorrow, actually... at this year's LISA conference which
anyone considering this approach should read when it is available:

http://www.usenix.org/events/lisa04/tech/blosser.html

It does not hurt that we have one of the main bogofilter developers
working a few blocks away, but then we didn't discover that until after we
had already implemented it!

--
Chris Russel
Manager, CNS Information Security