[unisog] Information on Commercial Anti Spam Software

Adam Brons abrons at peldor.occs.odu.edu
Tue Nov 16 17:07:21 GMT 2004

Tim,

We have evaluated several products and decided to go with CanIt-Pro
(http://www.roaringpenguin.com).  There product uses a lot of
Open Source technologies such as MimeDefang, SpamAssassin, and Bayes
Filtering.

We initially looked at using the above Open Source technologies
ourselves and rolling a front-end and authentication scheme to all
people to log in and individually manager their own spam settings.
That's when we came across CanIt-Pro which had already taken the
time to do all of this for us and added a database back-end as well.

The pricing was very reasonable and the technical support was
fa nominal.  We have a very complex mail architecture and were a
little skeptical that any commercial entity would be able to cleanly
integrate with our existing architecture.  We were more than
surprised, the Roaring Penguin folks spent three days out here and
knew more than enough to get the job done. The first day we spent
drawing out our architecture and even our FUTURE direction.  They
took notes and came back the second day ready to dive in.  They worked
with us to write custom code to integrate into our existing mail
architecture and helped build the foundation for using their product
when we move to our next phase in mail evolution.

They also have turn-key solutions for those who just want things to
work and aren't as concerned with the nuts and bolts.

We were most pleased with the service, expertise, price, and
product.

The only caution, as with any anti-virus/anti-spam product is that
it requires some meaty hardware.  We've upgraded to three decked out
Dell 4600's which are handing about 300,000 messages a day.