[unisog] security implications of using PCAnywhere on campus network

Daniel Feenberg feenberg at nber.org
Thu Nov 18 13:00:56 GMT 2004

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004, Rob Becker wrote:

> We have had a user request PCAnywhere access to our network from home
> via the Internet.  Can anyone offer links to resources or personal
> experiences with this software?  On principal I would prefer not to
> allow any access beyond email from off campus, but I have been asked to
> research this possibility.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks.
> Rob

If your user can ssh to a Unix account inside your firewall, she can no
doubt get along without your adjusting the firewall. While we don't use
PC-Anywhere here, we did post instructions for using Remote Desktop
Connection (RDC) which is shipped with Windows XP. I believe it has pretty
much the same functionality. The instructions are at

http://www.nber.org/help/localhelp/rdc.html

As far as I know, we only have one user, but no complaints. I suppose you
could prevent this with group policies, but I think it is otherwise
available by default on standard XP installations.

"Security implications", are at least 6 orders of magnitude less than the
implications of allowing users to receive mail or VPN from a computer that
is ever connected outside the firewall.

Daniel Feenberg