[unisog] security implications of using PCAnywhere on campus network

hermit921 hermit921 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 18 17:04:29 GMT 2004

At 11:37 AM 11/17/2004, Rob Becker wrote:
>We have had a user request PCAnywhere access to our network from home
>via the Internet.  Can anyone offer links to resources or personal
>experiences with this software?  On principal I would prefer not to
>allow any access beyond email from off campus, but I have been asked to
>research this possibility.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>Thanks.
>Rob

We have a several people using pcAnywhere for remote access.  We allow it
but request they implement several things:
1.  use the non-standard ports we picked
2.  use symmetric encryption and deny lower encryption levels
3.  restrict incoming connections to be from a fixed IP address if possible
4.  don't respond to broadcasts

We haven't had any problems that I know of.  I had intermittent trouble
with it after upgrading my ZoneAlarm firewall a while back - until I found
the new place to define a trusted host.

hermit921