[unisog] security implications of using PCAnywhere on campus network

Michael Holstein michael.holstein at csuohio.edu
Thu Nov 18 17:21:45 GMT 2004

> If your user can ssh to a Unix account inside your firewall, she can no
> doubt get along without your adjusting the firewall. While we don't use
> PC-Anywhere here, we did post instructions for using Remote Desktop
> Connection (RDC) which is shipped with Windows XP. I believe it has pretty
> much the same functionality. The instructions are at

If they can do that, they've basically got a VPN anyway : eg

/etc/ssh/sshd.config

AllowTcpForwarding=yes

IMHO, a VPN is the only appropriately secure method of remote access. Be
it IPSEC, SSH, SSL or whatever -- but exposing remote-accesss services
to the 'net' at large is inviting problems.

Cheers,

Michael Holstein CISSP GCIA
Cleveland State University