[unisog] Packeteer and it's competitors

Hamstra, Dan HamstraD at gc.adventist.org
Tue Nov 23 15:36:08 GMT 2004

We're looking at getting a Packeteer or NetEqualizer
(http://www.netequalizer.com) to help "smooth out" our inbound
congestion.

We've got 600+ users in an office setting sharing two T-1's with a
handful of e-mail and web servers hosted locally. No BGP is being used.
Our "load balancing" is done by manually assigning certain groups of
internal IP's to one T-1 or the other. Most (>60%) of my inbound traffic
during the day is the replies to the http requests of our users. How
much of this is actually P2P, streaming media, etc. happening on port 80
is unknown to me at this point.

We're not a higher ed site but I've heard that Packeteer is popular in
the higher ed community and am looking for any advice on the
effectiveness of it or competing products/Open Source projects.

Since NetEqualizer is based on the GPL'ed Bandwidth Arbitrator
(www.bandwidtharbitrator.com), I'd also be interested in any feedback on
that product/project.

Thanks for any help,
Dan Hamstra
Associate Director
Information Systems Services
General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists