[unisog] E-research, grid computing, etc

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu Nov 25 01:40:34 GMT 2004

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 11:53:11 +1100, Christian Wilson said:
> Pretty broad question I guess, has anyone delved much into the E-research
> side of things, in particular grid computing, and all the fun challenges
> that lie ahead in terms of multiple IT resource allocation, external
> account allocation, segregation of users, segregation of processes,
> segregation of storage, segregation of networking, and so on? :)

I haven't checked lately, but the last time I did, the *effective* "state of
the art" wasn't much better than "All your CPU are belong to us".

The 'effective' qualifier is due to the usual vast gap between what is
technically feasible and what you can actually get away with deploying to end
users.  For instance, the basic concepts of multi-level security have long been
understood in the military/spook world.  However, those concepts include some
assumptions about user behavior that aren't true in academia - if I try to
issue a security edict, I can't end it with an "or else.." that includes a
realistic possibility of Marine guards with M-16s with live ammo.

(Go ahead - admit it.  Everybody on this list has wished for that "or else.."
at least once, for those users who don't seem dissuaded by the average genuine
oak clue-by-four. ;)