[unisog] E-research, grid computing, etc

Frank Sweetser fs at WPI.EDU
Thu Nov 25 02:19:34 GMT 2004

On Thu, Nov 25, 2004 at 11:53:11AM +1100, Christian Wilson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Pretty broad question I guess, has anyone delved much into the E-research
> side of things, in particular grid computing, and all the fun challenges
> that lie ahead in terms of multiple IT resource allocation, external
> account allocation, segregation of users, segregation of processes,
> segregation of storage, segregation of networking, and so on? :)

The only grid application I'm familiar with is the Access Grid (think multicast
based video conferencing with a truckload of bells and whistles).  It, and
the underlying grid toolkit it uses, rely on SSL identity certificates for
authentication.  Based on the CN, the Access Grid can hand out fairly fine
grained permissions on specific objects to each user.  Each certificate, of
course, has to be signed by a CA trusted by the server side.

So while there's no guarantee that any given grid toolkit based app will
actually use it, there's at least a slot in the design to drop in a full PKI
infrastructure to do authentication and access control.

Frank Sweetser fs at wpi.edu
WPI Network Engineer