[unisog] E-research, grid computing, etc

Peter Van Epp vanepp at sfu.ca
Thu Nov 25 04:41:41 GMT 2004

On Thu, Nov 25, 2004 at 11:53:11AM +1100, Christian Wilson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Pretty broad question I guess, has anyone delved much into the E-research
> side of things, in particular grid computing, and all the fun challenges
> that lie ahead in terms of multiple IT resource allocation, external
> account allocation, segregation of users, segregation of processes,
> segregation of storage, segregation of networking, and so on? :)
>
> Christian.
> --
> Christian Wilson
> IT Security and Risk Manager, Infrastructure Services
> Information Technology Services, Monash University - Clayton
> Phone: +61 3 990 51187

	While I'm usually helping with network problems (being the owner of a
gig capable sniffer :-)) and getting argus to be able to get most of the
traffic at 900 megs instead of losing %50 of it (Linux ring buffer BPF kernel
wonderful thing), a research project here and 4 other sites is running a grid
of a 200 terabyte filestore (here at SFU), a 1500 node Beowulf cluster across
town, a big SGI cluster and a big Alpha cluster at two sites one province over
all interconnected by a layer 2 gig light path via CA*net4. The plan was/is
to run globus grid software (which I believe includes PKI for cross site
authentication, and at least has common authentication of some kind) although
I'm not sure what the state of that is. Batch cluster software was also planned
and again I don't know the status of it. If you have specific questions I can
probably get answers if there are any. My sense is that it has turned out to be
not trivial for sure (possibly as much politically as technically although there
are lots of technical issues too I'm sure).