[unisog] VA Tech SANS-EDU Training Update - 3/6/05-3/12/05 - Track 3 is the winner (fwd)

Randy Marchany marchany at vtrand.cc.vt.edu
Tue Nov 30 23:33:59 GMT 2004

Hi there. Here's an update on the SANS-EDU training here at VA Tech.

Track 3, Intrusion Detection, wins by default simply because the other track
instructors are not available for our event. Mike Poor from SANS will be the
instructor. For those interested, the votes were projecting the winner to be
1) Track 4 by a slight margin 2) Track 3 3) Track 8.

I've received a number of emails with the same questions so hopefully, I'll
answer them here.

1. Track 3, Intrusion Detection, does have a hands-on component to it. See
http://www.sans.org/cdieast04/description.php?tid=136 for details on the
Track. The course runs roughly from 9-5 with 7-9 hands-on exercises. Just
letting you know that it's an intense course.

2. Course only cost = $500/person. Certification Exam cost = $300/person.
Course+Certification cost =$800/person. You do NOT have to sign up for the
certification exam if you're not going to pursue a GIAC certification.

3. Registration will be through our www site. It will be up sometime next
month. I'll post a note when it's available.

4. We usually reserve a block of rooms at our on-campus hotel
(www.dbhcc.vt.edu) with overflow space at the Amerisuites Inn Blacksburg. For
other hotel info, go to www.bev.net, click on VILLAGE MALL and click on HOTELS.

5. Eligiblity Requirements: accredited EDU - college, university, community
college, K-12 only. No Commercial or Government employees.

6. Airline Information: Fly into Roanoke, VA. USAIR, Delta, United service is
available through the airport. Other nearest airports:
	Washington, DC National or Dulles - 4.5 hour drive to Blacksburg, VA
	Charlotte, NC - 3 hour drive to Blacksburg, VA
	Greensboro, NC - 3-4 hour drive to Blackburg, VA

There'll be more info as I get it organized. Let me know if you have any
questions.

	-r.