[unisog] RE: very high Inbound 1025 traffic increase

Landau, Gary glandau at lmu.edu
Fri Apr 1 21:55:52 GMT 2005

We've had a big influx of port 1025 traffic as well.  It appears to be some sort of worm and we've had three Windows 2000 servers infected.  They would run a process call SVHOST (not to be mistaken with SVCHOST) and it would prevent them from installing security patches or running TaskManager.

Cleaning them wasn't easy either.  Our Symantec anti-virus wouldn't detect it, so we had to do a manual cleanup.  We had to boot in safe mode and remove the registry calls that start up the SVHOST process, and then delete the SVHOST file(s).

Gary Landau
Director, Network Services
Loyola Marymount University
glandau at lmu.edu