[unisog] EndNote and Firewall Access

Tim Lane tlane at scu.edu.au
Mon Apr 4 05:45:28 GMT 2005

Hi All,

we are having an issue with access to EndNote from a certain student area
in our network.  This particular student area  requires all students to
authenticate through our proxy before they gain Internet access.  The
problem is with this is that Endnote access appears not to work through
proxy servers that require authentication.  Other areas of our network are
able to gain access to Endnote because they are not authenticating through
a proxy for Endnote traffic.

The only alternative we have identified is to allow a wide range of ports
through our firewall (as Endnote ports seem to vary significantly), and to
allow students to bypass proxy authentication for this port range.

Our concern with this is that this wide range of ports may position us for
potential exploits or virus attacks, which we would otherwise be less
susceptible to.

Does anyone have a recommendation or suggestion on an alternative to
opening the firewall up?

Thanks in advance,

Tim Lane