[unisog] Simple system process accounting

John Kristoff jtk at northwestern.edu
Wed Apr 6 16:26:22 GMT 2005

Does anyone have recommendations or techniques they use for simple
process accounting on a unix system?  I'm aware that there are very
sophisticated tools available that will keep very detailed statistics
and monitor changes, but I am interested in using some simpler scripts
or code for a particular class of systems.  I'm thinking of a tool
that would just runs periodically and send me an email summary.  For
example, if it were as simple as this:

  ps -ef | egrep -v $$ | diff -u baseline.txt - | mail jtk at northwestern.edu

that would be great (unfortunately that doesn't tend to work very
well.  :-).

I may not be exactly sure what I want other than something that is
relatively simple to use and can provide some basic summary of
processes (and major changes to them) over long periods of time.
This is for network application servers (e.g. dns, dhcp, syslog,
flows), which don't tend to many users or many transient user
processes running on them very often.  This would mainly be used to
keep tabs on standard running processes and identify ones that have
been added (particularly system processes) or abandonded (typically
user processes).

If people would send replies privately I can summarize to the list.

Thanks,

John