[unisog] RADIUS Products

Michael Holstein michael.holstein at csuohio.edu
Thu Apr 14 13:32:29 GMT 2005

Well .. the story goes like this :

Microsoft's IAS has, like all other M$ products, wonderful integration
(with the rest of M$'s products *only*, of course) -- it's
point-and-click in tearms of easy to get your POTS/WLAN users
authenticated, even if you want to do 802.1x on your Wireless.

That said .. we use FreeRADIUS and I have MySQL on the backend. That
took about 5 minutes to setup (cd /usr/ports/net/freeradius && make
install) and didn't cost squat. I'm doing accounting on hundreds of
Aironet access points and several RAS concentrators. Only thing I had to
do was write some perlscript to run from cron to delete the old stuff
(see previous thread on dangers of keeping "subscriber identifying
information" too long). AFIK you can get FreeRADIUS to do pass-through
SMB authentication against a NT/200[0|3] domain for your 802.1x or RAS.

If you're a Cisco shop, I'd also suggest looking at their SecureACS
software. I've worked with that in more than one enterprise and it's
rock-solid as well.

Cheers,

Michael Holstein CISSP GCIA
Cleveland State University