[unisog] Sneaky spamming or something more sinister????

Dan Riley dsr at mail.lns.cornell.edu
Sun Apr 17 16:31:12 GMT 2005

Gary Flynn <flynngn at jmu.edu> writes:
> An e-mail was received by myself and four other individuals
> here purportedly from USA Today because we posted a resume
> online (which I did not).

Relatively well-done forgery--all the links are to make it legit (just
as most of the links in many ebay phish spam really are to ebay).

> An nslookup on those names result in canonical names in
> the exacttarget.com domain. Exacttarget appears to be
> a, ahem (cough), direct email marketing company.

But relatively clean--certainly not one of the really sleazy ones.

The relevant bits:

You noticed that; there are some sleazier direct email companies
that will farm out work this way; afaik, Exacttarget does not.

> Based on the career profile you provided us, you might be interested
> in the following job(s). Please review the job description(s) and if
> you would like to continue the process, send blank e-mail with the
> word "USASPECIAL" in the subject line to trwjobs at cox.net

Note contact address trwjobs at cox.net has nothing to do with any
other address in the message.

> As a front line financial agent, you will be responsible for
> connecting different countries' financial markets by acting on behalf
> of our customers. All you need is an active bank account, good
> communication, internet access and desire to work as a big team. Get
> from 5 to 10% from each transaction!

With that description, they're probably recruiting for a lucrative
position as a "mule" laundering money for them.  You take in dirty
money, keep some large % as "commission", and wire the rest to a
foreign country, often somewhere in the former Soviet bloc.  See
http://www.fsa.gov.uk/consumer/01_WARNINGS/scams/fund_transfer.html
for another example.  Illegal, and very high risk for the mule.

-dan