[unisog] Sneaky spamming or something more sinister????

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Mon Apr 18 13:43:02 GMT 2005

--On Friday, April 15, 2005 14:58 -0400 Gary Flynn <flynngn at jmu.edu> wrote:

> An e-mail was received by myself and four other individuals
> here purportedly from USA Today because we posted a resume
> online (which I did not).
>
> The email appears to have originated from a computer in
> Hungary on a Cable TV ISP - www.broadband.hu.

They come from many, many places.  It looks like the usual network of
hijacked PCs.

It's a 411 scam.  They don't care about the CAN SPAM act.  It's
not as if they're doing something legal.

The links are misdirection.  The important bit is the email address
to use to "continue the process".  In any spam, check what you have
to do for the spammer to get your money.  That's the part they will
not fake!

We are rejecting if HELO has usatoday and hostname does not, as in:

Joseph Brennan
Academic Technologies Group, Academic Information Systems (AcIS)
Columbia University in the City of New York