[unisog] Hosting a SANS-EDU at your site

marchany at vt.edu marchany at vt.edu
Wed Apr 27 02:39:03 GMT 2005

The past couple of years, VA Tech has held a SANS-EDU training class for EDU
members at a substantial discount. SANS has decided to start a new program to
allow EDUs to do the same at their site.

Here is the info from SANS about hosting a SANS-EDU at your institution. I'm
preparing an FAQ for things you need to do when hosting the event.

SUMMARY

The prices below are for any EDU (higher ed, community college, K-12), state
or local law enforcement staff. The pricing varies depending on the size of
your venue. The final price/person will probably be higher to cover your
overhead.

Venue Size     Price/Person    GIAC Fee          Payment to SANS
300 students   $383.33/person  $300/1 GIAC try   $115000 to SANS
200 students   $525/person     $300/1 GIAC try   $105000 to SANS
125 students   $750/person     $300/1 GIAC try   $93750 to SANS

You may market to non-edu sites. The price below is for non-edu participants.

Non-EDU Price/seat   You keep      Payment to SANS
$2895                $445/seat     $2450/seat

DETAILS

300 STUDENTS
$115,000 Plus the Cost of Course Materials (at cost) & Instructor
Travel Expenses ($383.33 Per Student)

SANS will provide the following services:

- - Six days of instruction by a certified SANS faculty member
- - All course books and materials
- - Evaluations of students
- - Certificates of Completion

Sponsor must:
- - Provide suitable classroom facility with access for PC's or laptop
power for students
- - Pre-qualify students based upon the course's subject matter and
status that they are from educational institutions (K-12, College)
only
- - Provide complete list of names and addresses of students attending
course n/l/t/ ten business days prior to start of course
- - Instructor travel and lodging
- - A proctor for every 25 students who can assist the instructor with
technical issues during hands-on sessions. The proctor should be
someone who is familiar with the subject manner or has previously
taken SANS courses.

We will only charge the client at cost of course materials at cost
which is estimated $35 - $50 per course and city if we need to ship.
We have a national deal with both Kinko's and Sir Speedy and will
just charge books at estimate and can give clients a cost before
signing contracts.

$300 Per Student for One Attempt at GIAC Certification

200 STUDENTS
$105,000 Plus the Cost of Course Materials (at cost) & Instructor
Travel Expenses ($525 Per Student)

[...]

125 STUDENTS - MINIMUM TIER
$93,750 Plus the Cost of Course Materials (at cost) & Instructor
Travel Expenses ($750 Per Student)

[...]

For more information on the SANS-EDU program, contact:

Brian Correia
Director
Business Development & Venue Planning
SANS Institute
www.sans.org/brian at sans.org
703-968-0103 (Phone - EST USA)
703-830-0520 (Fax)

--------------------------------------

If you have any questions about how we did it here at VA Tech, you can send me
an email. Hope you guys can take advantage of this sweet deal.

	Randy Marchany
	VA Tech IT Security Lab Director
	1300 Torgersen Hall
	VA Tech