[unisog] recommendations for data recovery?

Peter Van Epp vanepp at sfu.ca
Mon Aug 8 18:05:50 GMT 2005

On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 11:27:52AM -0400, Christopher E. Cramer wrote:

> Let me start by apologizing to those who receive multiple copies of this,
> but we're in need of a bit of help.
>
> One of the departments at Duke has been using an Apple XServe RAID and
> ran into a problem.  As I understand it, one of the drives went bad.
> While restoring the replacement, a second drive went bad.  The department
> was able to send the disks off to a data recovery shop which was able
> to repair at least one of the bad drives.  So, in principle, we have
> the N-1 disks available to restore the data.  The problem is that the
> XServe RAID is not recognizing and incorporating the drives into the
> array.
<snip>

	Our Apple folks told me (and may have also replied direct):

"Peter, do you know what level of RAID they were using? Data Rescue has
worked really well for us on both Mac and PC disks."

	When I suggested to them that this was a good reason for having proper
backups even on a raid set and did they have any suggestions for the
unfortunate ...