[unisog] zotob and returning students, what are you going to do?

infosec@yorku.ca infosec at yorku.ca
Thu Aug 18 19:45:50 GMT 2005

Greetings,

We're doing some similar stuff but consider the following:

1.  Our DHCP server gives out IPs with a netmask of 255.255.255.255 and
gateway of the DHCP server itselt.  Thus the only computer on the
"authentication/registration" vlan that they should be able to talk to is
the DHCP server itself.

2.  We are using a modified/customized and beefed up version of UofT's ESP
which we dubbed YSS.  A user cannot get to the registration until they
pass the client-side scan.  Thus... if they have Zotob.. and cannot apply
the patches (which we allow via proxying through the same server) they
cannot get a "clean bill of health."  Therefore, they cannot register and
are instructed to contact our helpdesk for assistance.

We feel that with these measures in place we should be "relatively"
prepared for much of the chaos that will undoubtedly ensue.  This is not a
panacea though.  Allowing routers on the network adds one level of
complication that only the original system will be forced to conduct this
procedure.  We have yet to generate a viable solution for this case.
Nonetheless, hopefully (crossing fingers and knocking on wood) the overall
impact should be controllable and hopefully significantly better than
years past.

Information Security
York University
Toronto, ON Canada