[unisog] zotob and returning students, what are you going to do?

Dave Dittrich dittrich at u.washington.edu
Thu Aug 18 20:08:07 GMT 2005

> Well, with this new worm out, and students returning in the next couple of
> weeks, we're starting to wonder what impact this is going to have on our
> network when thousands of student home computers show up on campus and
> connect to our network. Most of these are uneducated users who are running a
> mélange of outdated and unpatched versions of Windows.

Are that many running Windows 2000 SP3 or thereabouts?  I don't
get the impression from reports I'm seeing that the vulnerable
population is anywhere near Blaster/Witty/etc.  Its not spreading
nearly as fast, or as wide, as any of these other worms, by at
least an order of magnitude.  (Its just getting lots of airplay
because this time CNN, NYT and others actually had it affect them.
There's something sexy about an on-air program being disrupted,
or was it just because it was a slow news day and there weren't
any police car chases handy? ;) You might want to double check the
Microsoft security web pages for vulnerability info.

--
Dave Dittrich                           Information Assurance Researcher,
dittrich at u.washington.edu               The iSchool

PGP key      http://staff.washington.edu/dittrich/pgpkey.txt
Fingerprint  FE97 0C57 0843 F3EB 49A1  0CD0 8E0C D0BE C838 CCB5