[unisog] zotob and returning students, what are you going to do?

Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu Aug 18 21:03:14 GMT 2005

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 13:08:07 PDT, Dave Dittrich said:

> Are that many running Windows 2000 SP3 or thereabouts?  I don't
> get the impression from reports I'm seeing that the vulnerable
> population is anywhere near Blaster/Witty/etc.  Its not spreading
> nearly as fast, or as wide, as any of these other worms, by at
> least an order of magnitude.  (Its just getting lots of airplay
> because this time CNN, NYT and others actually had it affect them.

I suspect that there are a lot of corporate sites that did the following:

1) Stayed on W2K rather than move to XP (I seem to recall a survey that
said that close to half of corporate nets were still on W2K because the
IT management didn't see any must-have features in XP worth the cost of
upgrading multiple 10K's of users).

2) Are now suffering in silence unless the worm burpage is enough to cause
an externally visible issue (always a problem when gathering the stats on
hacks/etc).

It's kind of like trying to get an accurate measurement of how many
adults in the US have herpes, and for many of the same reasons...