[unisog] zotob and returning students, what are you going to do?

Michael Holstein michael.holstein at csuohio.edu
Fri Aug 19 13:14:38 GMT 2005

> Just out of interest.....  What do people think about the newly identified msdds.dll exploit  ( http://isc.sans.org ).

#uname -sr
Linux 2.6.11.1y

#find / -name msdss.dll
(zilch)

I think my Linux/Firefox system is safe :)

Seriously though, I think it's yet another reason to advocate the more
widespread adoption of alternatives to IE (not that Firefox hasn't been
without it's share of problems .. they're just found & fixed in a more
timely manner).

I'm personally recommending the SANS fix of setting the 'kill bit' on
msdss.dll to prevent it's use via ActiveX .. I can't think of anything
off-hand that this will break, but I'm sure there's someting ...

Cheers,

Michael Holstein CISSP GCIA
Cleveland State University