[unisog] zotob and returning students, what are you going to do?

marchany@vt.edu marchany at vt.edu
Fri Aug 19 14:12:20 GMT 2005

whatever the problems with XP, the majority of zotob hits here have been on
faculty/staff systems not student systems. We're in the middle of student
checkin and most of the students have XP SP2 systems. They also have to run a
VTNET CD before they connect to our net. That CD makes sure the FW is up, auto
updates are set and the latest AV software is installed. We're hoping our
security sessions during freshman orientation have taken hold. They appear to
have done so last year.

We're using the York U scanner and Nessus plugins to sweep our nets hourly.

Of course, we have to deal with vendor software that enables exceptions for
the FW.....

	-r.