[unisog] zotob and returning students, what are you going to do?

Tamera talltam at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 22 19:03:32 GMT 2005

Dave Dittrich wrote:

> Are that many running Windows 2000 SP3 or thereabouts?  I don't
> get the impression from reports I'm seeing that the vulnerable
> population is anywhere near Blaster/Witty/etc.  Its not spreading
> nearly as fast, or as wide, as any of these other worms, by at
> least an order of magnitude.  (Its just getting lots of airplay
> because this time CNN, NYT and others actually had it affect them.
> There's something sexy about an on-air program being disrupted,
> or was it just because it was a slow news day and there weren't
> any police car chases handy? ;) You might want to double check the
> Microsoft security web pages for vulnerability info.

I work for a Microsoft Authorized Refurbisher, fixing up computers for use
in education.  Right now the latest operating system they are letting us use
is Windows 2000 Pro, so all the systems distributed by our program are
affected.  Since we supply computers for most of the schools in our area,
plus low income families and college students it's been a big problem.  An
entire Jr. High was infected the first day of school because they didn't
apply the patch.  We are making sure all computers going out right now have
the patches, but there's not much we can do about the computers that have
already been picked up.  If any of your students are getting computers from
programs such as ours, they will have windows 2000 and need the patch.

Tamera (lurker on this list since I tend to be backup tech support for
several k-12 school districts and I'm trying to learn more about security
issues)