[unisog] Linux network monitoring software

Guy Dickinson gfd212 at its.nyu.edu
Tue Aug 23 18:24:04 GMT 2005

I've spent my summer at a company in Seattle doing little else except network monitoring. I've tried a handful of products, and my best performers have been:

Cacti (http://www.cacti.net)
Like MRTG, but PHP-based, web configurable, and easy to use. It's as simple or as complicated as you want, and
I have had excellent results with it. Plugin support is available, the whole nine. I highly recommend it. The SNMP stuff is done by default with a PHP wrapper to net-snmp, but there's a C-based alternative if the PHP version is too slow for you.

OpenNMS (you know about it already)
I admit to not having tried Nagios myself, but OpenNMS has performed remarkably well for me. It's fast, and despite a few reports to the contrary, pretty easy to configure. If you can handle dealing with Tomcat and aren't scared of Java servlets, give it a shot. The email based reporting can be a bit confusing to figure out, but it isn't too bad. I've been generally impressed with the network discovery and service monitoring.

ntop
I'm sure you know about it already, and I get the impression you weren't asking about packet-monitoring type stuff, but I'll mention it here for the sake of completeness. It's a great tool and worth investigating.

Best of luck,
Guy