[unisog] Validation problems with Windows Update

Matt Ashfield mda at unb.ca
Fri Aug 26 12:46:02 GMT 2005

HI All

Our students are beginning to show up on campus and are looking to register
for our network. We are forcing students to do a few security related things
before they are allowed on the network. One of the main things they must do
is update their system by going to WindowsUpdate.

We have experienced a lot of problems with users being able to validate
their OS with Microsoft. Even people who appear to have legitimate copies of
Windows.

Among the problems we've experienced:

- Users being able to download, but not install the Windows Genuine
Advantage Validation tool. Despite repeated downloads, and attempts at
installing, it simply will not install.

- A potential timeout issue when users go to the website to validate their
version of windows. There is a message stating that the validation tool was
not able to communicate properly. This is potentially a problem with our
firewall rules. What sites/addresses are people letting through their
firewalls now to accommodate for this newly revamped WindowsUpdate. The
error that's given only tells the user to ensure their date/time is correct.
Not very helpful.

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Matt Ashfield