[unisog] Validation problems with Windows Update

Michael Holstein michael.holstein at csuohio.edu
Fri Aug 26 20:25:06 GMT 2005

> Our students are beginning to show up on campus and are looking to register
> for our network. We are forcing students to do a few security related things
> before they are allowed on the network. One of the main things they must do
> is update their system by going to WindowsUpdate.

Personally, I'd just recommend suggesting any of the many available ways
to negate the functionality of that silly tool. Full-Disclosure has
posted several methods, some of which are below :

1.) http://www.extended64.com/blogs/rafael/archive/2005/07/27/1026.aspx

2.) http://home19.inet.tele.dk/jys05000/

3.) http://www.boingboing.net/2005/07/28/microsoft_genuine_ad.html

4.) a.) install WGA
     b.) in directory C:\documents and settings\all users\application
data\Windows Genuine Advantage\data\
     c.) make file data.dat as read-only

5) http://www.sinhack.net/GenuineAdvantage

~Mike.