[unisog] friendly, secure web based file transfer applications

Albert Lunde atlunde at panix.com
Wed Aug 31 00:03:27 GMT 2005

On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 03:22:53PM -0400, Brian Smith-Sweeney wrote:
> http://sshwindows.sourceforge.net/
>
> This is basically just minimal cygwin + openssh.  I haven't used it in
> production.  It opens the whole "ssh-based file transfer gives people
> shell access" can of worms, and I'm not sure there's a way around this.
>   It also (I believe) maintains a seperate password file.

Folks on the cygwin mailing list, would probably tell you to
install OpenSSH using Cygwin's setup.exe installer.

see http://www.cygwin.com/

This puts you closer to the upstream releases and gives you
a slightly larger community to talk to.

Cygwin can emulate POSIX permissions using ACLs involving the
Everyone group, a practice which makes Windows security people
nervous. So if you use it, be wary about that. See:

http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html

The passwords aren't stored in the passwd file on NT and above,
but it is important. See the write up on "mkpasswd" for more about what
is there:

http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-utils.html#mkpasswd

    Albert Lunde  albert-lunde at northwestern.edu
                  atlunde at panix.com  (new address for personal mail)