[unisog] friendly, secure web based file transfer applications

Ryan Sumida rsumida at csulb.edu
Wed Aug 31 16:10:55 GMT 2005

Take a look at Xythos.  Their solution meets 1 through 3 of your
requirements, not sure of 4 , and likely can do 5. =]
http://www.xythos.com/home/xythos/index.html

Ryan

Russell Fulton <r.fulton at auckland.ac.nz>
Sent by: unisog-bounces at lists.sans.org
08/29/2005 07:52 PM
Please respond to
UNIversity Security Operations Group <unisog at lists.sans.org>

unisog at lists.sans.org
cc

Subject
[unisog] friendly, secure web based file transfer applications

HI,
      We have a medical imaging group on campus who need to make large
(1GB) image files available to collaborators off campus (and often over
seas).

They started out with a java based system from http://www.unlimitedftp.ca
which (unbeknown to them) does all sorts of jigger-pokery with TCP to
'improve' data transfer rates. It uses aggressive acking etc to break the
TCP flow control model.  There is some papers on the site that describe
the process.  Anyway while this works fine on campus it breaks badly when
used from outside -- I suspect that our stateful firewall is getting
confused when it sees ACKs for data it knows has not been sent...

So we are now looking for something that will work using standard
protocols.  As far as I can tell the requirements are:

1/ secure authenticated access (e.g no plain text passwords visible on
net)
2/ private data transfer   i.e. encrypted data transfers
3/ simple straight forward interface for non technical folk (strong pref
for using just a browser).
4/ runs on IIS.
5/ hmmm.... given the size of the files some form of restart capability
would be nice

standard FTP fails the first three of these requirements.

There must be some simple SSL wrapped web based apps that do this without
going to the length of having java applets.  I could write one but I don't
have the time and it isn't my job!

Anyone know of anything, either commercial or free?

Russell.