[unisog] Active Directory Web-Based Password Reset

Michael Holstein michael.holstein at csuohio.edu
Thu Dec 1 19:14:53 GMT 2005

>  Active Directory Web-Based Password Reset may help.  I read the page
> but did not fully understand how to implement it.  Can you help?

Basic steps:

1) install/enable certificate services on your domain controller(s).
2) use LDAPS to perform the password change. Note that a password change
is an operation on the directory, not a modification of an attribute.

You can write it in java/perl/whatever. CPAN's docs on Net::LDAP are
good on how to do it.

Note : you have to enable certificate services because AD won't let you
do a password change unless it's LDAP via TLS.

If you want a sample code snippit, I could write one. You're free to
request it in any non-microsoft programming language ;)

Regards,

Michael Holstein CISSP GCIA
Cleveland State University