[unisog] IM Apps?

Derek Diget diget+unisog at unix.cc.wmich.edu
Thu Dec 1 21:56:02 GMT 2005

On Dec 1, 2005 at 16:01 -0500, John Duksta wrote:
=>On 12/1/05 3:12 PM, "Schumann, Alex" <Alex.Schumann at oregonstate.edu> wrote:
=>> I find that IRC has a lot to offer over traditional IM because it allows
=>> groups to chat in channels as the primary communication mechanism rather
=>> than only one-on-one. This leads to more learning, trust building, and
=>> 'getting to know eachother'-ness.
=>
=>I totally agree with the benefit you call out there, but there are things
=>that I might care to discuss over IM/chat with my coworkers that I really
=>don't want going over the net in the clear.
=>
=>The Jabber solution to group chat is a conference server. One excellent
=>feature of the Jabber conference server is that it maintains N minutes of
=>history. When someone joins the conference late, they receive a transcript
=>of those last N minutes so that they may catch up. You could do this with an
=>IRC bot, but it comes built in to Jabber.
=>
=>Also, if I was to IM with a colleague, I don't want to have to tell them
=>"you can find me as jduksta on freenode IRC in channel #foobar". I'd rather
=>just be able to add XMPP:John_Duksta at brown.edu to my .sig and leave it at
=>that.
=>
=>-john (who has just started to lightly beat the Jabber drum here at Brown)

We have not deployed it, but our current plans have been to deploy Sun's
IM server
<http://www.sun.com/software/products/instant_messaging/index.xml>.
We already use their LDAP/messaging/calendar software.

There are several nice features that I think makes it a great fit for
higher ed.  1) It uses jabber/XMPP so you get all the benefits already
mentioned.  2) The next release will integrate with VoIP which allows
you to convert an IM into a phone call or a chat room into a conference
call by a few clicks of the mouse.  3) If you have Sun's messaging and
calendar, it integrates with them to notify a user of new e-mail and/or
events in your IM window.  And from the sys admin side, provisioning is
a snap.

And with yesterday's announcement, the price will be right. :)