[unisog] Forwarding email and security.

Derek Diget diget+unisog at unix.cc.wmich.edu
Tue Dec 6 15:39:54 GMT 2005

On Dec 5, 2005 at 16:34 -0600, Ben Beuchler wrote:
=>On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 02:23:00PM -0800, Cary, Kim wrote:
=>
=>> Given that task, I've also heard that autoforwarding email to external
=>> accounts is a security issue. Does anyone have any policy or technical
=>> safeguards to share related to that problem?
=>
=>We decided that since email is an "official communications medium" and
=>that we could not ensure delivery once it left our campus, we would not
=>forward off campus.

We did the same thing starting about 18 months ago for the same reasons.
The only exception we have defined so far is for faculty/staff on
sabbatical or off-campus for an extended period and their Internet
connection will be "slow".  For example, study/teaching in a 3rd world
country for a semester.

Also, you might want to post to the "Email Administration in Higher
Education" mailing list
<http://listserv.nd.edu/archives/hied-emailadmin.html> and see what
people there think.